Monday, June 20, 2011

Oh Hartford, you nearly killed me!

Max's O'Hartford - What did I get myself into?!?! Rich had done this 5k with his friend Chris a couple years before but I hadn't gone to watch. I wish I had - I would've known what I was in for! He's been running (and working out, and staying fit, and just about every other healthy thing there is!) for waaaaaay longer than me! But I like that he has advice to offer and has already experienced a lot of what's new to me. He's done quite a few 5k's actually. I had gone to support him a couple times in Simsbury, once in Northampton, and probably a couple others that I'm forgetting. I had set a goal for myself though - I wanted to do a 5k before I turned 30 (on April 24th). I decided on the Max's O'Hartford 5k (in Hartford) on 3/20/11. I knew I wouldn't be able to run it. And that's not a doubting myself sort of thing, or not believing in myself - I physically couldn't do it. It was too close after the surgery, and I hadn't been cleared to run yet. So I knew that the whole thing would pretty much be walking. I was ok with that, but still should have gone out to train more!

I was super, super, SUPER anxious before the race! I hadn't gotten much sleep. I realized after that I certianly hadn't hydrated myself enough. I was nervous, excited, afraid, enpowered - so many different feelings and emotions! There were actually a few changes in our plans the morning of race day which didn't help. Just logistics of getting there and picking up other people. We hadn't pre-registered (which I definitely do suggest doing, I just happen to not want to run in the rain and not lose out on $30!), so that set us a little behind as well. When we got to Hartford, parking actually wasn't too bad at all (use the Civic Center Garage!). The registration process was all done by computer and went super fast! I was a little disappointed that they were out of XXL shirts though and I had to settle for an XL. Rich told me not to worry - some day I'd have a closet full of XL's that would all be too big for me :) It was honestly special enough that I had a bib to pin to my shirt. I knew at that point that this was for real! I just could not believe the number of people that were there! In hindsight, I wished I had come up with some crazy Irish-looking costume, but I also kinda think that would've just been more added stress. The bathroom line was horrible though, and I have a huge fear of not having a bathroom available when I need one!



So as race time approached, Rich and Ralph (his twin) and I headed out to the starting line. Or where we assumed the starting line was, since there were so many people we couldn't even see it. I realized I didn't bring my mp3 player with me - ugh! That was going to be a long 3 miles! When the gun went off, it was another couple minutes before we even moved. The guys wished me luck and we all took off. Except for some reason I felt like I was a seasoned runner with the rest of them! I did an ever-so-light jog just seconds from the start line and was already out of breath! People were rushing past me - I though I was gonna get trampled! What had I gotten myself into?!?! I kept walking, and for the first half mile or so, I could still see a decent amount of people. I was definitely at the back of the pack, with all the people walking with strollers. But I was determined! A couple people had some short chats with me on the way, but as time and distance went on, so did all the other participants! I was around about 20 people, then about 10, then about 5. I was struggling at a fast walking pace just to not be the one to come in last! That was my huge goal - don't come in last, and don't take over an hour to finish. I volleyed back and forth with a group of 3 people. If they got ahead of me, I forced myself to move faster. My biggest obstacle though was my breathing. Each breath was harder and harder to take in. There were so many times when I just wanted to quit. I felt like each cop car I passed that was blocking off the side streets couldn't wait for me to go by so they could open that street back up again. I wondered if Rich and Ralph were at the finish line waiting, if they knew I was still going, if they had doubts that I might give up, what time they thought I'd come in. My hands were throbbing and I kept shaking them but nothing made them feel better. Surprisingly though, my leg didn't hurt! But each step I took, I felt like I'd never reach the end. One of the volunteers rode by me on a bike and told me I was about a quarter mile from the end. I finally felt like it was achievable at that point!

As I walked around the last corner (that I had no idea was the last corner!) I saw the finish line with just a few handfuls of people there. Most had already made their way over to the celebratory (free) beer and the long line to wait for their corned beef. I got a little closer and saw Rich and Ralph standing at the finish line cheering for me. I used what little energy I had left to get myself to the finish line as quick as I could, noticing in the meantime that I was still under an hour! I nearly collapsed as I ran through and into Rich's arms. I was so happy, but so out of breath, and so ready to cry, all at the same time! It took me a couple minutes to compose myself, but I had honestly never felt more proud of myself than I did right there at that moment.


I learned quite a few things after that first race. First, have good running shoes! I wish I knew what made me think it was a smart idea to try to do the 5k in $20 Kmart sneakers. Bad idea! Second, the throbbing hands was from dehydration. It kicked in around mile 1, so I was WAY underhydrated. Third, if you aren't a skilled runner, don't start in the middle of the pack and towards the front! Start towards the back and to the side, or you will get trampled. But the biggest lesson I learned that day was that no matter how much I doubt myself or think I can't do it, I can. To me, that day kick started the rest of my healthy life.


5k PR set on 3/20/11: 56:48

2 comments:

  1. I was never more proud of you than when I heard how proud you were of yourself! To never doubt yourself is the ultimate goal that everyone should stive to achieve. I can't wait to see what's around your next corner! <3

    ReplyDelete