Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I'm going to Chicago!

O.k.... I'm not OFFICIALLY going to Chicago. But my plans are to go to Chicago! The last time I was there, I was 15 years old. It was for a Girl Scouts program that centered around careers in the media. Lots of classroom time, but also lots of exploring the city. I loved it! Rich and I have talked for years about going there. He's never been, and I'm dying to go back!

So now for the running part. Bucket List item #10 = Complete a marathon. I had always known about the Boston Marathon and thought maybe someday I'd give it a try. Then I read into how you get to participate in the marathon. Unless you are raising money for charity, you need to QUALIFY to run Boston. Which means you not only have to run another marathon first, but you have to run another marathon in a certain amount of time. For women 18-34 years old, you have to finish in UNDER 3 hours 35 minutes (for the 2013 marathon) - that is a pace of just over 8 minutes per mile. If you're not really into running, try to think back to the track in high school. You would have to run each lap in 2 minutes, and run about 105 laps. Ummm... maybe someday, but probably not in the near future :)

So doing some more reading, I found out that you don't have to qualify to do the Chicago marathon! You can go the charity route, or you can pay the registration fee and do it! While I would love to do it for charity, I already do the Penguin Plunge in the winter and ask for donations for that, so I don't want to ask too much of people who are already donating to one of my causes.

So this is it... my proclamation! I WILL BE RUNNING IN THE 2012 CHICAGO MARATHON ON SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2012! This is truly going to take a lot of hard work. A lot of training. A lot of money. I am only at the 5k stage right now, and would still like to participate in a 10k or 2, and a half-marathon before I head to Chicago (Bucket List items #8 & #9). There are going to be nights and/or weekends when you'll want to get together with us for dinner or drinks, but my training and scheduled races will have to come first. There are going to be places I'd love to go, things I'd love to buy, but they will have to wait. It is going to take around $2,000 at least (probably more) for Rich and I to go - the hotel cost, the airfare, the registration fees, the food, the souveneirs - nothing is free! I am starting with $50 in our fund (donations are greatly appreciated!) but I will make the sacrifices I need to make to be able to do this. If you consider yourself one of my friends, you will support me in this. I'm not saying I won't have time for people, but changes need to be made for this dream to become a reality. Don't be upset that we can't afford to come out for dinner - come run with us instead! Sign up to do a 5k with me and then start the Couch-to-5k program - you'll be surprised by how much you can accomplish too! If you think you can be really determined, try to get to Chicago with us! There is no reason why I can make it there next October and you can't! I certainly don't have the body, don't have the stamina, and don't have the money - but I will! Make a positive change in your life like I've made in mine! I promise we can have one hell of a celebration when I get back from Chicago :)

This is going to happen!
In less than a year, I WILL BE A MARATHONER!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good girl!! Get a few 5ks and 10ks on the calendar in the next few months!!

    ReplyDelete