Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Week 2, Run #1

I missed my post last night, so I'm making up for it today even though it's a rest day. It felt good to actually run last night. It was only a mile, but I am glad that we're finally to the running portion of this training plan. The plan was one mile walk/jog. Nasty hot/humid weather again, so we went to the track. It's 1/4 mile, so we walked half way around and then ran the other half. Almost immediately upon running I could feel the cramps in my calves. Other than the cardio/breathing aspect of running, this is usually my #1 problem I encounter during a run. I am hoping to figure out what really causes this issue for me the most, find a way to work through it, and overcome the issue so that it's not something I encounter from the start of the 13.1. From what I researched today (it was my day off) it could be a couple of medical-ish issues (I forget the acronyms), but dehydration is also a major contributor. I know I have trouble keeping myself hydrated enough during my runs, so I'm hoping that they actually are related and I can kill two birds with one solution.

Rich and I watched a documentary tonight called "Running With Demons". It wasn't all that I thought it was going to be, but it was still interesting anyway. It was about an ex-addict who overcame his addiction with running, and this film documented him running a 300+ mile ultra-triathlon in Canada over the course of 3 days. I was hoping it was going to be more about Todd's running and getting others into running, but they did spend a lot of time talking about his backstory on the addiction. It wasn't a bad movie, just not really what we were looking for. While watching, we did some rolling out. Rich has a foam roller that I absolutely hate. I guess I haven't really given it a fair shot, and I know it's *supposed* to hurt, I just don't like it. He bought a 3-pack of tennis balls today, so I gave it a shot with one of those on my calves. I could definitely feel some sore hot-spots in there! Rich said we should be rolling out every night when watching TV. Hopefully I'll start feeling a little more comfortable with feeling uncomfortable?

No comments:

Post a Comment